* realizing that the pursuits of one's peers are useless – Really? I shouldn’t strive to work at McDonald’s because I get free food? Damn. Actually I’ve never strived to do this, I’ve always marched to my own drum due to my friends being dumb as rocks.
* confronting their own mortality – Really? I did that at six years old. Not new, moving on.
* watching time slowly take its toll on their parents, only to realize they are next – Dealt with this at 19 when my mother died. Again, not new.
* insecurity regarding the fact that their actions are meaningless – I think this one is bunk in that actions speak louder than words and I’ve always strived to be a good person and treat others with love and respect.
* insecurity concerning ability to love themselves, let alone another person – I can see this.
* insecurity regarding present accomplishments – Totally agree with this one, I have a degree in psychology and have been at the same soul sucking job for 8 years. Still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up
* re-evaluation of close interpersonal relationships – Thinned the herd.
* lack of friendships or romantic relationships, sexual frustration, and involuntary celibacy – Check, Check, Double Check, personal vow of celibacy after being forced upon.
* disappointment with one's job – Not disappointment I just would like my soul back, thanks.
* nostalgia for university, college, high school or elementary school life – Would love to go back to school. I love learning. Guess I’m a huge sponge after all.
* tendency to hold stronger opinions – Seems more true the older I get. Although I’m finding my opinions are more liberal in nature.
* boredom with social interactions – Not really, I just don’t go out much.
* loss of closeness to high school and college friends – All my friends hit the four winds after High School. Now they all want to be my friends on Facebook, WTF?
* financially-rooted stress (overwhelming college loans, unanticipatedly high cost of living, etc.) – Does credit card debt count? Yes then Check!
* loneliness, depression and
suicidal tendencies – I’ve been lonely my entire life, comes with being an only child. I was completely depressed for my entire 20’s. Couldn’t tell you what I did for that decade. Now here I am in my 30’s and going WTF happened?
*desire to have children – At some point possibly once I’m more secure in my life. Not right now hell to the no.
* a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you - But aren't they?
* frustration with social skills – I can talk to people online just fine, face to face, not so much.
As the emotional ups-and-downs of adolescence and college life subside, many affected by quarter-life crisis experience a "graying" of emotion.